managed-settings.xml issue after IBM Sametime 9 upgrade

I manage all our Sametime client settings through managed-settings.xml and I love the simplicity.

But recently I updated our IBM Sametime environment to Version 9 and the managed settings stopped working.

So I enabled the debugging parameters in and looked at the trace:

"org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file."

Mhmh, not very specific, sounds like a prob with the xml but I used the same xml without any problems with version 8.5.1

So I checked to open the file via Webbrowser, worked. As this wasn’t my first issue after the upgrade I was just about to change my job and become a gardener. OK, I opened up my webbrowser for a last time and wanted to check the settings again when a green light enlightened me:

Screen 2013-10-25 at 09.58.52


Oh man, of course, I enabled “Redirect TCP to SSL” after the upgrade but forgot to change the “Sametime update site URL” accordingly. The browser has no issue with the http link and just was redirected to https, but the Notes/Sametime client doesn’t like this and throws the error.

Guess what, changing the link to https solved the issue, happy bunny 🙂

Change Sametime Client 8.5.x settings after deployment through managed-settings.xml

There are many possibilities to change you Sametime Clients settings before and after a client rollout i.e. by changing/adding some lines to plugin_customization.ini (direct or indirect through Notes policies).

Unfortunately changing plugin_customization.ini through Notes policies is not really bulletproofed an often doesn’t work at all. So I searched for some alternatives and found following in Sametime Infocenter:
Read more